Associate Professor and Ireland Field Course Director
Geology and Environmental Science
James Madison University
395 South High St., MSC 6903
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
Office phone: 540-568-7119
email: whitmesj_at_jmu.edu (replace _at_ with @)
• Building global plate tectonic reconstructions and developing associated educational resources.
• Development of digital mapping techniques and 3D and 4D visualizations, and their incorporation into field geology
curricula and research.
• Bedrock mapping of the Virginia Blue Ridge to Valley and Ridge transition, with special focus on deformation related
to the Blue Ridge thrust system.
• Analysis of deformation and shear zone fabrics using macro- and micro-structural evidence, metamorphic petrology,
and geochronologic techniques.
• Appalachians of Northeastern and Southeastern North America
• Caledonides of Western Ireland
• Proterozoic basement of Southwestern United States
• Eastern Sierras Pampeanas of Argentina
• GEOL 110: Physical Geology
• GEOL 110H: Physical Geology Honors
• GEOL 167: History and Philosophy of the Geosciences
• GEOL 210: Applied Physical Geology
• GEOL 365: Structural Geology
• GEOL 398: History of Plate Tectonics
• GEOL 399: Field Course in Ireland
• GEOL 415: Geological Evolution of North America
• GEOL 387: Stratigraphy, Structure, Tectonics
• GEOL 388: Advanced Structure, Stratigraphy, Tectonics
• GSCI 104: Geology of JMU